On Wednesday 21 October Queensland Alliance for Mental Health hosted The Mental Health and Wellbeing in the Workplace online event to support organisations to establish a mentally healthy workplace, build a strong culture around the importance of mental wellbeing and address stigma.
The event was coordinated as a key action of the Brisbane North joint regional plan for mental health, suicide prevention and alcohol and other drugs: Planning for Wellbeing 2018-2023.
- Provided evidence about the benefits of investing in mentally healthy workplaces, both for large and small businesses to support their employees, families and communities.
- Offered tools and guides from a range of sources to assist workplaces to make it happen.
The key speakers and presentations included:
Linda Sheahan, Beyond Blue
Linda Sheahan from Beyond Blue who’s presentation of the Mental health, work and COVID-19 shared knowledge about the diverse impacts of the pandemic on people’s mental health and specific strategies and tools to improve the ability to manage these impacts.
Nicole Hughes, Workplace Health & Safety Queensland
Nicole Hughes from Workplace Health and Safety Queensland who shared her exceptional knowledge on Using an integrated approach to creating a mentally healthy and safe workplace and factors impacting employee’s mental wellbeing and their performance and attendance at work.
Dave Gavin, Wellways Australia
Joshua Hill, Wellways Australia
Joshua Hill and Dave Gavin, from Wellways Australia who spoke about Stampede Stigma, the awareness campaign which aims to end stigma and discrimination faced by people who experience mental health issues.
Tools and guides
Provided below are links to a range of tools and guides to support your organisation in building a mentally healthy workplace:
- Longitudinal study of Australian community experiences of COVID
- Working at home during COVID study
- Study on emergency services workers national research
- Work design and Thrive at work
- SANE National Stigma report card
- Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service
- Heads Up: Workplace Mental Health
- Small business Beyond Blue
- Small business online training
- Ahead for Business
- My business health
- Mentally Healthy Workplaces Toolkit
- Workplace Action Kit
For further information and support on developing a mentally healthy workplace please contact Sarah Childs, Director Engagement & Partnerships at Queensland Alliance for Mental Health on 07 3394 8480 or .
Looking for more to read?
To read more QAMH news articles, click here.