QAMH provided a submission advocating strongly for a National Mental Health Workforce Strategy that takes a broader view of the skills required to build a contemporary workforce. In particular, we called for the Strategy to include a stronger focus on the not-for-profit community mental health and wellbeing workforce, including lived experience.
The QAMH submission on the National Mental Health Workforce also addressed the following:
- Key challenges facing Australia’s mental health workforce
- Priority areas including the recruitment and retention of staff
- Improving the attractiveness of careers in mental health
- Improving integration of care and supporting multidisciplinary approaches
- Developing innovation service delivery models and workforce optimisation approaches