Did you know 1 in 2 Australian adults will experience a mental illness at some point in their life?
Mental health and wellbeing is important to individuals, families, schools, workplaces and communities. There is a role for all of us to play.
Here are some tips to help you with your mental health and wellbeing. Take the opportunity to pick one or two of the following tips to try each day:
- Get enough sleep and rest. Sleep affects our physical and mental health but can be the first thing we trade-in when we get busy or stressed
- Take time out for things you enjoy. Balance in life is important, so taking time out for things you enjoy can make a difference to how you think and feel
- Be active and eat well. Our physical and mental health is closely linked, so adding exercise and nutritious food every day can make us feel better
- Nurture relationships and connect with others. Our connection to others is what builds us up and keeps us strong
- Learn to manage stress. If you have trouble winding down or managing thoughts you may find relaxation, yoga or writing your feelings down helpful
- Set realistic goals and deal with tasks one at a time. It is good to be specific when you set a goal to help keep you on track
- Reach out for help when you need it. Everyone needs support from time to time. Talking to a family member, a friend, your doctor or one of the many services available can make all the difference.
If you need to talk to someone, you can call one of the following numbers:
- Lifeline on 13 11 14
- Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636
- Men’s Line on 1300 78 99 78